On your marks, get set, go…
Entries are officially open for the 2015 Schwarzkopf Professional Hair Expo Awards, and during its 30th anniversary there are a few changes in the mix. New criteria, a different scoring system and even additional categories will headline this new era of the industry’s most prestigious competition.
This year entrants will have an extra month to submit their photographic entries, with entries closing on March 16th, 2015. Finalists will then be announced at a cocktail reception in Sydney on March 31st.
“Over the past few years we have updated the awards categories to better fit the changing needs of the industry,” said Hair Expo Event Director, Amelia Coote-Harris. “This year we wanted to take that even further, by looking at other ways of simplifying processes, broadening the scope of the awards and enabling more of our hugely talented hairdressers to enter. For the awards’ 30th birthday, it felt like the right time to give it a refresh!”
The changes will impact how you enter, the judges you are trying to impress and the categories you will compete in – meaning it’s time you become accustomed to these competition shifts.
So what’s new in 2014?
• Only photographic collections must be submitted for the first round of judging. Written submissions will only be required from finalists.
• Entries can be submitted online.
• There will be a small entry fee (countered by entrants no longer needing to pay for print and post). Apprentices will have no fee.
• Questionnaires have been made more specific to each category.
• International judges will be included for the first time.
• Judges will now be chosen for specific categories instead of judging across the board.
• Consumer media will take part in judging Photographic Collection of the Year.
• A new points weighting has been introduced in creative categories. The judging will be divided as: 50% for photos, 25% for submission and 25% for the creative inspiration behind the shoot.
• The Business and Marketing categories have been reintroduced as Salon Business of the Year and Industry Business Performance of the Year.
• The Salon Team of the Year category will now allow for a salon group to enter. Up to six key artists from the group may work together on the entry.
• Entrants may now only win Emerging Hairdresser of the Year or New Creative Force a maximum of three times.
• Entrants to both the Australian and New Zealand Hairdresser of the Year categories must shoot exclusively for these categories – photos cannot be entered from any other category submissions except Salon Team of the Year.
• The Australian Hairdresser of the Year category will be opened to include artists who live and practice consistently in Australia, but not necessarily in a salon environment.
If you want to stand on stage at the awards gala on June 8 next year, the path is clear. Enter now and who knows? You could be the face of the Hair Expo Awards’ new era.
For more information and to enter visit www.hairexpoaustralia.com/en/visitors/awards
Click here for Styleicons|TV.