On Wednesday 29th January 2014, an exclusive crowd of Aussie A-listers and media ventured to David Jones in Sydney’s CBD for the department stores’ Autumn Winter 2014 National Fashion Launch.
Aveda was delighted to be the exclusive hair partner for the evening, harnessing David Jones’ theme of “Lead and Extraordinary Life” through two key hair looks for the season ahead. Aveda Hair Director Terri Robertson Kirkwood took the helm backstage, delivering futuristic yet fluid styles with a big luxe factor.
“To harness David Jones’ new season theme, ‘lead an extraordinary life’, Aveda created two key looks with a futuristic edge and big luxe factor,” explained Terri.
“The first was a futuristic ponytail, that showcased a strong, sleek style, tight to the head with high gloss. Aveda strongly believes in environmental responsibility and for a modern twist, we carefully placed a strip of biodegradable sticky tape down the centre part to add a hint of luminosity, movement and shine,” explained Terri.
“Look two, was a play of contrasts, a key trend of international runway shows. Using Aveda’s men’s Pure-formance Firm Hold Gel, we created a central panel that had a lot of structure and hold. It was sleek and luxurious. Contrasting this, the remaining hair was soft, supple and shiny with plenty of movement and flow,” concluded Terri.
GET THE LOOK – Futuristic Ponytail
1. Prep damp hair with Aveda Dry Remedy Daily Moisturizing Oil.
2. Spray Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep into the roots and mid-lengths, giving hair control and hold.
3. Apply three pumps of Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam into hands and evenly distribute through hair using fingers.
4. Blow-dry hair in a downwards motion to ensure it is smooth and straight with natural lift.
5. Once dry, draw hair back into a tight pony tail with a sharp centre part.
6. Secure ponytail at the base of the neck with a hair tie and wrap hair around to conceal it.
7. Spritz Aveda Air Control hairspray into the palm of your hand and gently smooth the spray across the head to keep flyaways at bay.
8. Mist the look with Aveda Control Force hairspray.
9. For a modern twist, carefully place a strip of biodegradable sticky tape down the centre part to add a hint of luminosity, movement and shine.
GET THE LOOK – Contrast Panel
1. Decide on the sectioning for the contrast panel using a general rule of one centimetre in from the arch of the brow. The contrast panel should be narrow but not skinny.
2. Dampen down roots on top of the head to ensure strong control through the panel section is developed.
3. Apply Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam to remaining hair and dry with natural volume, using a round brush to smooth and straighten.
4. Apply Aveda Confixor Liquid Gel to the contrast panel to give strong hold.
5. Starting at the crown and in 1cm sections, dry back strongly, repeating until at hairline.
6. Using the palm of your hand, smooth Aveda Pure-Formance Firm Hold Gel from root to 4cm down hair. Comb into position and apply a good spritz of Aveda Control Force. Continue with each section until you reach the hairline.
7. Set by applying very gentle heat to the crown with a hairdryer, using your hands to gently smooth hair.
8. Add a few drops of Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Serum from the mid-lengths for a light sheen.
For more information about Aveda visit www.aveda.com.au or call 1800 706 377.