Goldwell and Sharon Blain teamed up last week to style Australian Bridal Fashion Week, crafting three versatile hair looks that will suit your bride-to-be clients as much as they did the models on show.
Sharon created three distinct looks, the first being an intricate braided style with a colourful fake crown braid, the second a voluminous beehive-esque up style and the third a pulled back wet look with loose curls. With such variance, the option would be up to what your client is inspired by!
With each look so ideal for the salon and also necessitating its own level of creative and technical complexity for the stylist, we’ve given you all three ‘get-the-look’ instructions below.
For more information visit goldwell.com.au
Look 1 – Braid:
1. Begin with Goldwell StyleSign Hot Form, blow dry the hair at the back of the head using a large round brush to smooth down the hair.
2. Begin with a middle parting 8cm deep at the forehead. Make a centre parting in line with the top of the ear.
3. Make a scalp braid across the top of the head just behind the part line.
4. Using tongs curl two deep sections on the crown and curl the remaining hair around the bottom. Brush the hair thoroughly.
5. Section off a triangle section behind the braid. Divide the remaining hair in the centre back and do a free strand braid on both sides, band ends to hold.
6. Find the middle of the false braid, place in the centre on top of the head, pin to hold. Drape the ends down towards the centre back, pin we’ll into the braid to hold.
7. Gently make an opening in the pony section and loop the pony up and through the split section. Gently pull out the loops from the turned pony to expand for volume and soft texture. Once done roll the pony ends up and pin at the base of the elastic to hide.
8. Direct the braids on both sides closely back towards the nape, while opening the braids to expand over the base of the false braid to hide.
9. Drape the braids across to opposite sides and pin. Use a light spray of Goldwell StyleSign Magic Finish to hold.
Look 2 – Up Style:
1. Begin with a middle parting 8cm deep at the forehead. Section the front down to behind the back of the ear.
2. Then make a triangle section from behind the front section, down to the back at the crown. Finally with the remaining section at the back create a pony high up onto the crown as shown.
3. To prepare the hair, directionally blow dry the front section flat with Goldwell StyleSign Hot Form. Use bar clips to hold the sides flat. Direct the sides into the centre nape and band together.
4. Crimp the triangle section from roots to ends. Also crimp the ponytail base from roots to end.
5. Incorporate the lower ponytail into the top ponytail.
6. Backcomb the ponytail for texture. Smooth over the top section and add a small elastic in the middle for the ponytail. Roll a padding shape into the ponytail for volume.
7. Smooth the pony hair over the padding and roll up into the head below the pony base and secure with pins to hold firmly in place.
8. Gather the ends into a pony at the nape and use long pins to hold the hair into position.
9. Place a long section clip vertically in the centre at the nape. Twist the pony section towards the left side and pin down into the nape to hold. Tuck the ends up inside the twisted section to hide.
10. Gently lift the top section of the hair to give a softer finish and pin well to secure the shape.
11. Finish with Goldwell StyleSign Magic Finish hairspray.
Look 3 – Curls:
1. Saturate the whole hairline with Goldwell StyleSign Hot Form. Using a narrow tooth comb directional blow dry the hair from the forehead to the top of the head. Flatten the comb completely on the head so the hair is really tight into the head.
2. Using Goldwell StyleSign Hot Form blow dry the hair at the back of the head using a large round brush to smooth down the hair. This will prepare the hair for the curl.
3. Section the hair in line with the ear from one side of the head to the other. Clip the hair on the front section so it is out of the way.
4. Take another section right behind the first section, about 1cm deep. This section needs to line up right behind the ear. Clip the section away.
5. Clip together the hair at the bottom of the head.
6. Lightly spray the 1cm middle section with Goldwell StyleSign Hot Form. Braid the hair starting at the top of the ear all the way across to the top of the other ear. Add a band at the end to hold.
7. Take the hair from the front of the hair and pull it over the braid. Clip in place.
8. Saturate the front section of hair with Goldwell StyleSign Lagoom Jam. Do not put any gel past the braid line.
9. Using a wide tooth comb, comb the hair from the forehead to the braid line to create wide comb lines in the hair.
10. Carefully lift up the hair to find the braid. Separate the first comb line. Using a needle and cotton thread, stitch the hair from the front to the back, going underneath the braid. Continue with each line across the hair, keeping the separation from front to back. Knot the thread at the end once complete.
11. Using your fingers, gather and pinch each line of hair on the front of the head to give more dimension.
12. With the rest of the hair at the back, create two sections horizontally. Take 2cm sections and spray lightly with Goldwell StyleSign Hot Form and curl with a large tong. Always curl in the same direction. Pin the curl to set. Repeat with the top section.
13. Brush the hair thoroughly from roots to ends. Spray lightly with Goldwell StyleSign Diamond Gloss and finish with Goldwell StyleSign Magic Finish hairspray.
Click here for Styleicons|TV.