Fun fact: Justin Bieber’s first single (One Time, don’t pretend you don’t remember it) was released in 2009 when he was just 15, spurring the singer to grow up, evolve and change his hair looks in the spotlight. Sure, there have been some missteps (in hair, in life, etc.), but we now land on Justin Bieber the 22 year old (as of Tuesday) rocking his peroxide blonde locks and rapidly converting the world into Beliebers one hit song at a time (again, don’t pretend this isn’t true, you’re listening to Sorry right now, aren’t you?).
All jokes aside, Justin is a primary member of a growing group of celebrity men leading the charge in the burgeoning world of men’s hair trends and inspiring male clients in the process. Tapping into this new market means more business for you, so any star who can push younger male clients into the salon chair is a win for the hairdressing industry (thanks Justin!).
So to celebrate Justin’s 22nd birthday, we’re taking a look at his hair evolution, from bowl cuts, to braids, to blonde, to classic boy band and more. We honestly have no idea where his hair journey will lead him next but we’re excited to find out.
1. He may have been projecting his desire to hit phenomenon-levels of fame with this Beatles-style bowl cut, but the Biebs burst onto the music scene with just a lot of hair. To be fair, would you want the equivalent of your high school yearbook photo taken constantly on the red carpet? We’re giving sixteen year old Justin a pass.
2. Between the faux-hawk and the undercut, Justin is every boy band star that’s ever existed, ever.
3. Justin channels Elvis with some serious hair height and the requisite amount of styling product for a teenage boy.
4. The hint of a quiff and faintest signs of facial hair paint the picture that Justin is growing up.
5. Long hair and what we’re pretty sure is balyage marked a step in a different direction for Justin, musically, personally and, obviously, aesthetically.
6. You may have never known or forgotten that Justin has attempted a man bun, but there was no way we were going to be able to write this whole article without reminding you.
7. Justin experimenting with braids shows your male clients that anyone can play with any hair style they like. Who said hair changes were just for women?
8. Long hair is even more captivating in a new platinum blonde hue, and while he drew unfavourable comparisons (not to mention memes, so many memes) to Eminem circa 2000, Kim Kardashian in the minute she went blonde and, horror of horrors, Donald Drumpf, we would advise Justin to ignore the haters.
9. Justin gave credence to the growing trend of merman hair by going purple, joining other bright-haired men such as Joe Jonas and Jared Leto in adapting the rainbow hair trend for the guys.
10. Justin’s most recent major red carpet appearance was the 2016 Grammy awards, where he showed up with a white tux, short back-platinum-hair and his little brother in tow.
And just because we like you, here’s one more hair look for luck.
Happy birthday, Biebs!
Click here for Styleicons|TV.