Singer/hair chameleon Lady Gaga is known to be a little audacious (take that as an understatement) with her hair looks. In compiling her boldest hair looks to celebrate her 31st birthday this week, we had to confine ourselves to just ten, or risk simply copying Gaga’s entire hair history on to the page in front of you – suffice to say, Lady Gaga doesn’t play hair (or really, anything) safe.
Lady Gaga expressed how important her hair aesthetic is to her identity in song, in the 2011 track, aptly titled, Hair. The song details her adolescence and her parent’s want to stifle her creative and fashion expression, something she could let out only in her hair. Gaga used the song to evoke hair as her expression of identity, empowerment and self, and explained that her freedom to style, colour and cut her hair how she wanted to through her teenage years was vital to her growth (something creative hairdressers and maybe your younger clients could surely relate to).
In her adulthood (and super stardom) Gaga has continued to champion hair freedom and a bold aesthetic in her fashion, hair and makeup. Multi-coloured hues, multiple wigs, homages to other celebrities and other unique choices ensure Gaga stands out at any and all red carpet events, appearances, performances and just day to day life. Really, she’s any vibrant hair connoisseur’s dream, and an inspiration to the young clients who use hair experimentation in their journey for self discovery.
See 10 of her major hair looks below.
1. First up – Gaga goes bold, on set and in green.
2. A pastel-lover’s fantasy, Lady Gaga is practically all unicorn with this lilac and teal-tinged look.
3. You’re probably only used to seeing hair art looks like these at only the most Avant Garde hair shows – Gaga wore it at a Vegas event in 2010.
4. More simply, she’s promoted the hair bow, a creative and feminine take on hair as a sculptural form.
5. The hair bow trend continues (in bonus purple!).
6. Edgy, bold and surprising wearable, we’re all in on this bright blue bob.
7. At the 2016 Grammys, Gaga paid homage to the recently-deceased David Bowie, with this fiery red look.
8. Dark roots and sea foam green locks, this creative look is all tied together with a statement red lip.
9. Bright, sunny yellow with a hat, tee and actual sunnies is Gaga’s interpretation of casual.
10. How could we not end with… whatever this is? Big? Check. Bright? Check. We’re not sure exactly what’s going on here, but Gaga has sung about wanting to be “as free as [my] hair.” Mission accomplished?
Happy birthday, Lady Gaga!