It was a patriotic day for Australian fashion as two talented Aussie brands, Ellery and Christopher Esber, debuted at New York Fashion Week with Ryan Taniguchi, New York session stylist, leading the hair charge in a collaboration between the Australian and US muk teams.
The Swish #105 collection by Kim Ellery showcased a palette of burgundy, gold, white, and shimmering tones.
Known for her distinctive jackets, this collection was no exception. From golden kimonos to black glitter bomber jackets, the Ellery girl is a confident self-styler – the collection consisting of staple puff dresses and the tailored greatness Ellery has come to be known for.
Christopher Esber’s collection mixed clinical minimalism with sleek in a simple palette of black white and blues. The show had an air of classic grace with a hint of the masculine. High necklines and crisp clean shapes were treated in peculiar fabrics, and structures that relied on shadow to create shapes.
muk for Ellery
The hair at the Ellery segment mimicked the laidback elegance emulating from the clothes. The look was a soft romantic ponytail that looks fallen out. Created by Ryan to highlight the casual Aussie spirit, the ponytails were cleverly manipulated to resemble natural volume.
muk for Christopher Esber
In contrast, Ryan’s creation for the Christopher Esber show was modern and controlled. Complimenting the structure of the clothes, the hair was a low ponytail flattened to the skull. Parted in the middle for symmetry, the look was no fuss, no drama, just sleekness.
GET THE LOOK – Ellery
1. Use Beach muk Sea Salt Spray and Fat muk Volumiser to create volume, rough drying the hair to create matte texture
2. Once hair is dry, part in the middle with fingers
3. Section hair at the occipital and pin the top part up
4. Take a section of hair from both sides above the ear and pull to back, tie hair in a ponytail at the occipital
5. Loosen pinned section, straighten hair and tie in a ponytail two inches below the shoulders
6. Pull the sides of the ponytail for a rounded look at the bottom
GET THE LOOK – Christopher Esber
1. Part hair in the middle with a tail comb
2. Spray Fat muk Volumiser at the roots
3. Use a Mason Pearson brush and comb to work the hair into a tight low ponytail
4. Add a few pumps of Hot muk Smoothing Serum and work in with hands to create the shine and hold
Click here for Styleicons|TV.