Presenting hair as the ultimate new season accessory, Wella Professionals Global Creative Director Eugene Souleiman delivered exotic rope braids at the Jeremy Scott Spring Summer ’13 collection show.
A transformation from previous seasons, the collection exuded 1990’s sport luxe with gold and black highlights littered throughout.
“I wanted to create a hair look that was rich and sexy to complement the clothes” said Eugene who set out to change the approach taken by stylists when working in a fashion week environment.
“My inspiration for this look comes from a lot of places; a kind of melting pot of African, Asian, Egyptian, Arabic, and just a touch of ‘ghetto fabulous’. I wanted the hair to be viewed as an accessory to the collection which is why I created a long rope braid that almost looks like a piece of jewellery.
“The smooth, sleek and perfect looking hair featured an over long six strand braid attached to a perfectly placed small bun. It’s a look that would test the skills of most hairdressers as it was all about precision and perfection – it’s about accessorising hair with hair.”
GET THE LOOK – New World Power
• Start with clean freshly washed and conditioned hair, using Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner, to ensure hair is in perfect condition.
• Spray Wella Professionals Perfect Setting Blow Dry Lotion on to the roots of the hair and using a flat brush blow dry hair away from the face and up from the nape of the neck.
• Section out a circular section of hair from the crown of the head and secure in a pony-tail right on the crown of the head.
• Take the front section of hair and pull upwards while brushing with a soft bristle brush and spraying with Wella Professionals Stay Styled Finishing Spray – continue to brush and spray until the hair is perfectly straight with no fly-aways.
• Repeat this process with the back section of hair (this is where you need two pairs of hands!) and join the front and back section together with the original pony-tail and tie together on the crown of the head – add more hair spray and brush away any loose hair so that the hair is completely smooth.
• Twist the pony tail loosely and pin in to a secure bun.
• For a final glossy finish spray with Wella Professionals Shimmer Delight Shine Spray.
• Take the pre-made long braid and securely attach to the bun. At the show, Eugene did this by ‘sewing’ it in to the hair with elastic.
• Finish off with some more Wella Professionals Stay Styled Finishing Spray.
Click here for Styleicons|TV.