Hair Director Renya Xydis for Wella Professionals added a fierceness to a traditional 40s hair clip for the fun loving Alice McCall girl’s ‘beyond pretty here’ collection, writes Cameron Pine.
Juxtaposing fierceness through the top and the softer more 40s through the mid-lengths and ends, Renya added an element of classic beauty to the good-time Alice McCall girl’s colourful collection of textural fantasies.
“We are revamping the hair clip. The 40s reference is the clip and to add smoothness and condition used Wella EIMI perfect me for condition and Ocean Sprizz through the back to add texture,” Renya said.
“Celebrating the individual is continuing this year – it’s really coming from New York but in saying that the overall look all the way through for the Alice girl is quite short. She’s beautiful,” she said.
From ‘mid-century modern’ knits in minidresses to more 80s separates in bright pink and shimmering lilac, there were plenty of pretty little things to carry a young woman from her prom to her wedding and to that fun outfit change half way through in McCall’s latest collection.
Gaining momemtum each year, it’s clear that McCall’s signature is to take slightly off-beat trends and make them fun and accessible to all – there was so much fun from 80s disco to fairytale going on that it was important for the hair to be more classic and not take away from the collection. She is all about the update, referencing old Chantilly lace and tablecloths draped and pleated to concoct modern silhouettes. Florals were ‘punched up’ in colour and execution, and sweet pastels strengthened.
Despite some shorter styles and afro hair that didn’t require as much treatment from Renya, she said the importance at fashion week nowadays is to ‘work with everything’.
“I wanted to create a style that embodied the Alice McCall girl, but still captured the bold confidence that filtered through Alice’s striking collection. We created 40’s inspired twists that – instead of sitting pretty – sat up tall, strong, slick and structured the face to give our Alice McCall girl her fierce, yet still beautiful, feminine look.”
Get the Look:
- Prep the hair with EIMI Perfect Setting, spritzing mid-lengths to ends.
- Apply EIMI Ocean Spritz at the crown to add texture and root lift to the back section.
- Diffuse hair from the crown down to create natural movement without ‘blasting’ the roots.
- Use a large styling iron to build ‘cool girl’ texture by flattening the ends in big sections.
- Using EIMI Perfect Me, skip the hair to give a natural healthy flow, and hydrate the ends. Work the hair lightly to keep the look ‘aired’.
- Using a toothcomb, section the hair into three parts – from the crown back to behind the ears – clip these away.
- Plait the remaining hair at the back of the head to maintain a ‘tousled’ look for the bulk of the hair.
- Taking your first side section up above the head, apply EIMI Stay Styled liberally and, brush in an upwards direction towards the middle part, holding with one hand – until ‘slick’.
- Twist the section tightly towards the middle parting and secure with a ‘Mary-Jane’ slide. Be sure that the twists sit ‘square’ on top of the head.
- Using a soft brush, gently skim the hairline and twists to create ‘soft’ texture around the head, for that ‘cool-girl’ tousled look.
- Finish with EIMI Glam Mist for added shine.
For more information visit www.wella.com
Click here for Styleicons|TV.