A cultural show on day four of Afterpay Australian Fashion Week (AAFW) inspired, as Indigenous Fashion Projects showed off the work of six designers, with complementary hair looks by Redken and Hair Director Kristy Hodgson.
“It’s such an honour to be part of sharing the stories of our country through fashion,” Kristy said. “We are creating the ultimate beach hair to complement the collections of all six designers. The hair look embraces the beauty of unruly beach hair with a few finer details to polish the edges, while still looking like these girls have spent the day on the sand in a salty sea breeze. The texture of beach hair is timeless, with some designers complementing the look with head scarves and loose knotted tie backs.”
“The inspiration came from the fact that the designers themselves are from all different parts of the country and some of their artwork is from different communities,” she continued. “On the runway there’s lilies in a billabong or a waterhole and the girls are just walking through casually. There’s humidity in the hair, some of them look like they’ve just naturally put their hair up high or low themselves, others are wearing it down. It’s about that beach texture but not in the water, more the humidity. The hair is that little bit curlier around the face, a little straighter at the ends.”
With Redken’s Fashion Waves 07 as a hero product that was spritzed in and diffused to offer sea salt texure, and the brand’s Frizz Dismiss Anti Static Oil Mist counteracting elements of frizz, the natural look was completed to perfection. A statement burgundy lip brought the high fashion component to this undone aesthetic.
Between the designs, theme and meaning, this show was a highlight.
Get the look:
- To prep the hair, start with an application of Redken Shades EQ Gloss conditioning colour with Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo & Conditioner.
- Start by parting the hair in the centre and spritz with Redken Rootful 06 from roots to ends and then blast dry.
- Using a 10mm curling tong take 1cm square sections along the front hairline and wrap off the face.
- Next, take 1.5cm sections through the rest of the head alternating directions and let cool.
- Using a wide tooth comb thoroughly comb out the curls from roots to ends.
- Use your blowdryer and round brush on low speed and temperature to smooth the ends of the hair with Redken Frizz Dismiss Anti Static Oil Mist.
- Tip upside down, spray Redken Fashion Waves 07 and diffuse dry (to help create more body) spritz with Redken Frizz Dismiss Anti Static Oil Mist to add a little polish around hairline and ends of the hair.
For more information visit www.redken.com.au