Joslin’s five-year anniversary took place off site at Afterpay Australian Fashion Week, with a debut show at the beautiful Clovelly Ocean Pool, featuring styling by O&M.
Hair director Pauline McCabe captured the essence of the brand’s feminine and romantic sartorial nature in a hair look that contrasted the feminine, beautiful clothing, with a more gritty and punk style.
“The inspiration for the hair is a slightly punk and grungy aesthetic to offset the feminine and delicate designs of the collection,” Pauline said. “The hair’s edgy style draws attention to the clothes, at the same time it complements the Joslin spirit.”
One of the two intricate hair looks was also a nod to the collection’s use of knotting and stitching, with similar details in the hair. The brand’s Surf Bomb Sea Spray and W-Spray Dry Wax Spray were hero tools in creating the essential grungy texture.
“We created knots and braids to echo some of the fabrics and textures,” Pauline said. “There’s a lot of incredible craft work in the clothes and all this stitching, so we tried to bring that in with some of the knotting to reference the knotting that was done in the ties, and the braiding and pleating in the back, we brought that in.”
The collection had an alluring holiday vibe, which perfectly suited to the seaside location, with a romantic, timeless elegance to the designs. The aesthetic offer a minimalist mood unified by feminine detailing, including signature buttons, ruffles, bows, ties and crochet trims, as well as effortless silhouettes.
“The decision to partner with AAFW in 2023 is aligned to the label’s exciting five year anniversary, and the beachside show location felt natural,” said founding designer, Elinor McInnes.
Get the intricate looks here:
Knot And Braid How To:
- STEP 1: Blast dry in Surf Bomb to achieve grungy texture.
- STEP 2: Take two one-inch sections behind the ear.
- STEP 3: Split the hair across the crown and start to knot hair across the head and snake down into nape area.
- STEP 4: Knot braid the two sections behind the ear and join into first braid.
- STEP 5: Braid the ponytail into three braids and tie off.
- STEP 6: Finish with W-Spray to create texture through the top and sides of hair.
- STEP 1: Directional blow dry hair on top and tight at sides using Surf Bomb, secure hair tight at sides with clips.
- STEP 2: Use Surf Bomb throughout the hair for texture. Use a flat iron to create a bend through the length of hair.
- STEP 3: Plait the hair-behind the ear to tighten slaps and pin the hair into the sides.
- STEP 4: Spray the hair on the top and sides with W Wax Spray to create texture and add diver prong clips to set.
- STEP 5: Spray W Wax Spray throughout the rest of hair for even texture.
For more information visit www.originalmineral.com
Catch up with INSTYLE and Styleicons!