The international fashion weeks swept the globe, taking over New York, London, Milan and Paris with high-end hair and fashion, and we have some guides here to bring that runway to your salon.
Global session maestro Guido Palau was backstage for Redken in Paris for Redken, styling shows including Dior, Chloe, Loewe, Valentino, Givenchy, Akexander McQueen and Miu Miu. Every look was classic and luxe, and some stood out with intriguing details, new twists on braids and knots, and editorial spins on still very wearable looks.
As such, hear Guido in his own words describe your new favourite styles, then recreate them yourselves, as we pick out some of our favourite Parisian looks from Guido over Spring Summer 2019.
“McQueen looks always have a touch of romance – always beautiful, always with a touch of British sensibility. I was inspired by pirates and the high seas, with a small braid in the front inspired by Adam and the Ants, who often wore a similar look,” Guido said. “I’ve finished off the braids with a gold ribbon wrapped around them, which gives a slightly Victorian vibe. My key product for this look was Redken Guts 10, which I slathered heavily into each section to give it a product-y feel, which helps to form the braids. I finished with a few spritzes of Redken Shine Flash 02 to reignite the look and give it a high shine, wet look.”
Get the look:
- Section your hair into three sections, one on each side of your head, and one in the back. Clip up the first two sections.
- Taking the remaining section and begin applying a heavy amount of Redken Guts 10 from the lengths to ends to saturate strands.
- Once the full section is fully saturated, begin French braiding the hair down to your ends then secure with an elastic.
- Repeat on the remaining two sections.
- Once all sections are complete, take your centre and side section and begin wrapping them over one another at the back of your head, securing with hairpins as you go.
- With the remaining section, allow it to stick out off to the side of your head then pin to your head shape to create a 360-degree shape to the overall hair look.
- Using a comb, comb out some of the baby hairs at the front of your head and tightly braid the section, securing the end with a small elastic.
- Spritz Redken Shine Flash 02 all over the look for added polish.
- Use your fingertips to soften around your hairline and allow some remaining baby hairs to peek through.
- If desired, wrap a bit of gold ribbon around the braids for an added touch.
“We’re here at the Dior show in Paris, where I’ve done a kind of Dutch braid on the hairline,” Guido said backstage. “There are hats at the show, but the softness in the braid and the profile feels very soft, very romantic, and a bit youthful. I’ve utilised Redken Powder Grip 03 to add texture and hold to the hair as I’m braiding down the girls’ lengths, and Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray for high hold without the crunch.”
Get the look:
- Start with clean, dry hair.
- Create a centre part with your fingertips.
- Continuing the part, section your hair down the back of your head into two sections, pulling each section towards the front.
- Puff a small amount of Redken Powder Grip 03 into your palms and rub your hands together for grip.
- Take the first section and begin braiding down your hair, starting at right at your part, and keeping the braid towards the front. Allow the remaining lengths to stay loose as you go, so it creates a lovely, draped effect.
- If needed, puff a bit more Redken Powder Grip 03 into your hands as you go hold the hair in the braid down your lengths.
- Secure with an elastic.
- Complete on the other side, securing with an elastic once complete.
- Once you’ve achieved your desired look, spritz a few spritzes of Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray over the whole look to hold and to tame any frizz.
“We’re backstage at the Chloe show, where I’ve done a few different main looks,” Guido said. “All are inspired by the 40s, with some girls wearing their hair curly, some with a boyish up-do, and some with a boyish twist with their lengths left down. I’ve utilised my backstage must-haves of Redken Guts 10, Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray and Redken Shine Flash 02 to get these looks.”
Get the look:
- Prep hair by applying Redken Guts 10 throughout your crown area, then softly blowdry upwards and towards the back of your head for a touch of volume.
- Curl the front pieces of your hair towards the back of your head, then comb through with a wide-toothed comb to soften curls into a touch of a wave.
- Spritz Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray throughout your head shape, then use a widetoothed comb to purposely leave comb marks in a backward motion.
- Allow your hair to fall in a natural, soft side part, then spritz Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray all over the look for a stronger hold.
- Clip hair around your head shape, keeping the top voluminous.
- Once hair has set, remove clips and spritz Redken Shine Flash 02 all over the look at the front for a glossy appearance.
For more information visit www.redken.com.au