One of the global industry’s night of nights took place this week on November 25, as the illustrious British Hairdressers Awards were hosted at London’s Grosvenor House to great acclaim. Compered by TV personality Rylan Clark-Neal, alongside HJ’s executive director, Jayne Lewis-Orr and Schwarzkopf Professional’s General Manager, Julian Crane, the night included 1750 industry professionals, who were all there to celebrate and witness the latest UK hairdressing accolades. Importantly, this year also presented the first ever International Collection of the Year, won by our very own Jacky Chan of Oscar Oscar Chadstone, in Melbourne.
Jacky beat five other international finalists in the category, from parts of the world including the USA, the United Arab Emirates and Canada. His technical and creative work greatly impressed an esteemed judging panel of hairdressing legends, leading national beauty press, and Hall of Fame members, allowing him to accept the award on stage in London.
“Jacky’s recognition is significant as he’s not only made a name for himself in his own country, but this win will introduce him to many as an international hairdressing star,” Jayne said. “His beautiful work captivated the imagination of more than 100 industry judges and he thoroughly deserves the trophy. Warmest congratulations for demonstrating fantastic technical dexterity, and for being such a great ambassador for Australian hairdressing.”
“To win is so unexpected, but I’m over the moon,” Jacky enthused. “Thank you to everyone’s support back at home, especially my Oscar Oscar salon family and my business partner Oscar Cullinan for his years of continued mentoring and support. We’ve had some fantastic success as a company; my partner who is with me tonight was also a finalist in the same category! It’s great to be able to celebrate this achievement with him. I can’t emphasise enough how winning this award is such a wonderful surprise! It feels fantastic.”
Jacky was one of 18 talented winners on the night, and the pinnacle award of British Hairdresser of the Year was given to Robert Eaton from Russell Eaton Hair in Leeds, who was announced 2019 British Hairdresser of the Year, who was also honoured on the night by being inducted into the industry’s Hall of Fame.
“I’m absolutely speechless! There are so many people here who have mentored, helped and guided me to where I am now. I’m so thankful to everyone who voted for my collection! I was overwhelmed to be nominated in the first place, so to win this year is absolutely mind-blowing,” Robert said. “When I first started in the hairdressing industry, my dad gave me a Trevor Sorbie book, and he said, ‘One day this could be you winning those hairdressing awards,’ and now I’ve done it!
Other winners were announced in specialist and regional categories, as well as the inaugural Trend Image of the Year title, won by Fredrico Patelli from TONI&GUY Victoria.
Other highlights on the night included the evening’s champagne reception, three course dinner, entertainment by The Hoosiers and, of course, a show-stopping hair fashion presentation from Schwarzkopf Professional, titled ‘Celebration of Colour’. The inspiring show was created by Essential Looks Global Colourist Lesley Jennison, and Schwarzkopf Professional Global Editorial Stylist Tyler Johnston.
“Each year, British hairdressing goes from strength to strength,” Jayne said. “These awards serve to celebrate not just the sheer technical skill involved in hairdressing, but also the creativity and vision behind the extremely accomplished execution. Each winner has demonstrated an ability to dream big, and then bring that concept to life in imagery that’s beautiful, inspiring and directional. We’re very proud of all the winners.”
Congratulations to all the winners, listed below:
Specialist Category Winners 2019
- British Hairdresser of the Year: Robert Eaton, Russell Eaton, Leeds
- Afro Hairdresser of the Year: Rick Roberts, Rick Roberts, Beverley (East Yorkshire)
- Artistic Team of the Year: Mark Leeson Artistic Team, Mansfield
- Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year: Hayley Bishop & Sophie Springett, TONI&GUY North Audley Street, London
- Men’s Hairdresser of the Year: Jim Shaw & Daisy Carter, Essensuals, Billericay
- Newcomer of the Year: Alex Morton, Jamie Stevens, London
- Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour
- Technician of the Year: Sophie Gibson & Jonathan Turner, Hooker & Young, Newcastle
- Trend Image of the Year (new): Federico Patelli, TONI&GUY Victoria, London
Regional Winners 2019
- Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Nathan Jasztal & Zoe Jasztal, Silhouette Du Barry, Chelmsford
- London Hairdresser of the Year: Andy Heasman, RUSH Victoria, London
- Midlands Hairdresser of the Year: James Earnshaw, Bad Apple Hair, Wolverhampton
- North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Alexander Turnbull, Alexander Hair & Beauty, Hull
- North Western Hairdresser of the Year: Jon Wilsdon, TONI&GUY Deansgate, Manchester
- Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year: Sharon Malcolm, Sharon Malcolm Hairdressing, Down
- Scottish Hairdresser of the Year: Jason Hall, Jason Hall Hairdressing, Edinburgh
- Southern Hairdresser of the Year: Andrew Smith, Andrew Smith Salons, Portsmouth
- Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year: Martin Crean, MODE, Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire
- International Collection of the Year (new): Jacky Chan, Oscar Oscar Chadstone, Melbourne, Australia
Hairdressers inducted into the British Hairdressing Awards Hall of Fame 2019 for winning the same category three times:
- North Western Hairdresser of the Year: Marcello Moccia, Room97 Creative Hairdressing, Wakefield
- Afro Hairdresser of the Year: Michelle Thompson, Wolverhampton
- Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year: Robert Eaton, Russell Eaton Hair, Leeds